As of 31 April this year, 1,294,089 individuals / 258,885 households previously uninsured are now covered by a mutual because of the now active country interventions in India and the Philippines for the 5-5-5 project.
Recently, ICMIF member organisations UNIVE (Netherlands), ALKA (Denmark), UNMI (France), Sancor Seguros (Argentina), Zenkyoren (Japan) and FMG (New Zealand) have joined the existing financial supporters of the 5-5-5 Strategy, The Co-operators (Canada) and Länsförsäkringar (Sweden).
India (currently at country intervention programme stage)
- ICMIF member organisation Uplift Mutuals has conducted its first claim disbursements under the 5-5-5 project and testimonies were collected from members.
- The Achmea Foundation (the Netherlands) became the first ICMIF member to provide technical assistance through the 5-5-5 by helping Uplift to develop its marketing strategy.
- Uplift’s mid-year project review by ICMIF took place in Mumbai, 13-15 February 2017.
- Uplift has opened its first pharmacy in Pune, India under its ALL BE WELL brand.
- Uplift has made significant changes to two key process: the issuing of ID cards to members much more quickly (now issued in minutes rather than the process taking a month or more) and claims processing (time reduced by almost 20%).
- The DHAN project proposal has been finalised and will commence once funding is secured for the first year.
Philippines (country intervention stage)
- ICMIF member company Rimansi conducted a pilot run of Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) own risk assessments on 14-15 February 2017 with three Mi-MBAs (Microinsurance Mutual Benefit Associations).
- Country Programme Officer, Payal Agarwal, visited Rimansi on 3 March 2017 in Manila for a six-month project review meeting.
- On 8-9 March 2017, ICMIF staff Marine Guais, Vice-President, Emerging Markets, and Tina Blain, Resource Mobilizer for the ICMIF Foundation, took part in a visit hosted by CARD MBA to get a closer look at CARD-MRI’s microinsurance programme and to meet with policyholders.
- Rimansi conducted ERM user training on 8-9 March 2017.
Kenya (country strategy stage)
- The first draft of the proposed Kenya country strategy was presented to ICMIF Development Committee by member companies CIC Insurance Group and Takaful Insurance of Africa (TIA) in Manila, the Philippines on 6 March 2017.
Sri Lanka (country diagnostic stage)
- Four group discussions and multiple individual interviews have been completed as part of the Sri Lanka country diagnostic study.
- Landscape of microinsurance in Sri Lanka has been submitted to ICMIF.
- The demand and supply analysis has been finalised.
- Case study selection criteria has been submitted to ICMIF.
- Review made of the current regulatory framework in Sri Lanka and its implications on the provision of mutual microinsurance.
Colombia (country diagnostic stage)
- The findings of the Colombia country diagnostic report were presented to the ICMIF Development Committee on 6 March 2017.
- Dialogue has commenced with La Equidad and Solidaria organisations regarding the strategy phase.
To find out more and discuss ways to support the ICMIF 5-5-5 Mutual Microinsurance Strategy please contact Tina Blain, Resource Mobilizer for the ICMIF Foundation, at email@example.com